Meta description: This medical procedure addresses all the unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal and intoxication. The process is carried out in a hospital setting where health professionals can treat and care for the patient while providing comfort.
This procedure is preferred for all individuals who wish to receive treatment for substance use. It uses medical prescriptions and other professional care to assist the body get rid of alcohol or illicit drugs.
This technique is not a substitute for a complete drug addiction treatment. It’s a transition entry point into an addiction rehab center awaiting drug addiction treatment. Medical detox eases the process of withdrawal. It makes patients remain comfortable, minimizing the chances of a possible relapse.
With detox, the patient can entirely focus on the recovery efforts.
Medical Detox Steps
The doctor assesses and recommends the correct type of medical detox for your need. The medic gives a superficial examination, i.e., checking your pulse, temperature, and blood pressure. Afterward, you will be asked about the substance dependence you have. The doctor may also conduct a blood and urine test to ascertain what substances are in your body.
The doctor will administer care or medicine to assist you through withdrawal. Additionally, the addiction experts will watch you round-the-clock to ensure you don’t struggle with withdrawal.
Preparation for Actual treatment
The medical professionals will give the necessary information regarding the treatment program you deserve. Medical detox treatment is essential depending on the substance and the severity of the situation.
- Opioids. Withdrawal from opioids is unpleasant and gives patients a lot of discomforts. However, it’s not life-threatening. A doctor can prescribe drugs like buprenorphine or methadone to assist you in easing withdrawal symptoms.
- Stimulants. Illicit substances like meth and cocaine are hazardous to your heart. When used with alcohol, the situation can worsen. There are no medical prescriptions for withdrawal. However, the medics will manage your symptoms and ensure you stay safe during that period.
- Alcohol. In some instances, alcohol withdrawal can trigger a fever, high blood pressure, seizures, and other disorders. Such a situation can be life-threatening. The doctor will place you in a medical detox treatment for alcohol. You will be administered benzodiazepines and extra medical treatment to prevent seizures and delirium tremens.
- Sedatives. Withdrawal from drugs like benzodiazepines and barbiturates can be perilous. When medical detox is necessary, addiction experts will slowly withdraw you from the sedative. Addiction doctors may treat you with a similar sedative you are addicted to. The doctors carefully monitor your breathing and ensure your heart functions well during detox.
Administration of Medical Detox
Medical detox is unique to a patient’s needs. The doctor works with an addiction expert to formulate a treatment program that best suits you. The doctor can prescribe medicines to carry at home to stabilize withdrawal symptoms.
Additionally, you can prefer to visit a clinic or program during the day to receive medical care. Typically, you will receive prescription inform of a liquid or a pill. In most cases, you may be asked to register for an inpatient program at the detox center.
Benefits of Medical Detox
Withdrawal from illicit addiction is not life-threatening. However, withdrawal from drugs like sedatives and alcohol can be critical. In such cases, medical detox is necessary to save a life.
Medical detox is beneficial, it eases suffering and prepares patients for recovery and treatment.
Follow-up Options and requirements.
Medical detox is the exodus of tackling substance addiction. But, the mind and body require treatment to prevent drug cravings after detox. Your addiction expert will assist you in drafting a workable plan. Other options for recovery are:
- Diet and vitamins changes to aid you in receiving the correct nutrition
- 12-Step programs
- Individual or group therapy to strengthen your recovery and mental health
- Inpatient rehab
- Medication treatment, i.e., use of methadone and other beneficial prescriptions.
What to Expect.
Addiction recovery is lengthy and requires immense support. The journey is always successful if your support system is solid. Organize your life to avoid alcohol and drug use. This will mean avoiding certain people and changing regular routines.
Your road to recovery is brighter, and it is possible. To learn more about medical detox and treatment, call us now at 833.970.2054.